The Wolakota Buffalo Range — located in south central South Dakota and established by the economic development arm of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe — is seeking a Range Manager for immediate hire. Candidates with bison handling experience should send a resume, along with a brief explanation of why this opportunity interests them to firstname.lastname@example.org. This project is an opportunity to get in at the ground level of an ambitious and innovative initiative to convert 28,000 acres from cattle land to a buffalo range in order to benefit the land and people of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. This position will require relocation, with residence at on-site, provided housing strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural, horticultural, land or animal management, agronomy or related subject preferred
- Minimum five years of applicable experience
- Commitment to low-stress handling and 100% grass-fed operations
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation, with CDL preferred
- Willingness to learn Indigenous plains culture specific to bison handling and management
- Willingness to learn Native grassland restoration methodology and practices.
- Appreciation and respect for Lakota knowledge, lifeways, and culture
- Demonstrated ability to operate small farm machinery
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage a small team
- Strong workplace ethic and values
- Willingness to work in a remote location, willingness to live on-site in upgraded housing preferred
The Rosebud Economic Development Corporation (REDCO) is the wholly owned economic development arm of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe and maintains tax-exempt, non-profit status. As Lakota, we believe we are all related and it is our duty to create a better world for future generations. Our mission at REDCO is to achieve this by developing amazing leaders who run great organizations. We employ a multi-faceted, holistic approach to improving economic outcomes and eliminating poverty on the Rosebud Reservation. More information can be found on our website.
At REDCO, we are bringing Tatanka back to the people as a way to realize our vision of a healthy, helpful, and safe Oyate (nation). We have secured a 15-year lease on a 27,000 acre property on Rosebud Sioux Tribal Lands and have partnered with industry-leading organizations to develop a plan to create a Native-owned and operated buffalo range and wildlife sanctuary. The range will generate revenue by selling grass-fed, humanely raised, surplus bison to like-minded customers. Additionally, we will explore value-added ventures such as a processing plant, cultural and ecotourism, and educational outreach.
Francie M Berg
Author of the Buffalo Tales &Trails blog